Establishing a good sense of rhythm is important for beginning musicians. Here are some tips for helping young learners with rhythm in their at home practice.
1. Clap, tap or drum the rhythms of the songs that your child is working on prior to playing them on the instrument.
2. Encourage your child to practice her songs at an appropriate speed so that the rhythms are correct.
3. When listening to music, encourage clapping, marching or dancing to the beat.
4. Play rhythm games like tapping out a rhythm and then have your child clap it back. You can also look for musical rhythm game apps that you can download on your tablet or phone.
5. Make rhythm flash cards to practice the different note values or rhythmic patterns.